Saturday, August 14, 2010

Hair care tips!

Obviously, the best way to have seriously healthy hair is to never color, straighten, curl, or dry it.  But...seriously?  That's like telling Citizen 80's not to get that afro perm..it's just not gonna work that way.

Do you guys ever feel like that shampoo/conditioner that you're using, that you really liked at first, just stopped working?  Have you heard the myth that your hair gets used to a shampoo/conditioner?  Well..notice I said MYTH, because it's not likely.  I mean, come on, your hair is dead.  It doesn't have memory.  So what's happening?

BUILDUP is happening!  With all these shampoos and conditioners that claim to "smooth" or "moisturize", etc, how could it NOT leave stuff on your hair?  Of course, your actual strands of hair are really small, so there's really only so much product that your hair can truly absorb.  And if there's a lot of product buildup covering the strands, the hair can't absorb anything more.  So of course, that's where feeling like your products are no longer working comes into the picture.  But relax!  There is a cheap solution:

Paul Mitchell Shampoo One.  It's cheap.  I got a travel size at Ulta for $3, but you can find it really anywhere, I snagged this image from RiteAid.com.  This is a purifying shampoo that was recommended to me by my stylist, and I have to say one thing, it smells delicious!  Like coconut suntan lotion!  YUM!  Anyhow, I was instructed to use it once a week and I have to be honest, it really works, the theory is true.   I really, really felt like my products worked just like they did when I first started using them!  I would definitely recommend that you incorporate this into your regime!

The only downside is for me, personally, is that I eliminated sulfates from my hair care, just because sulfates are really harsh cleansers and I find that the harsher cleansers tend to make my hair more oily.  This problem was significantly less severe once I stopped using shampoos with sulfates.  This shampoo has sulfates though, and using it once a week isn't enough time between shampoos to give my hair time to re-balance.  It may be a good idea for someone like me to use it every two weeks, or once a month, or just on the lengths of one's hair.

I have one more tip!  And that is...well hopefully you are rinsing your conditioner LAST thing before you get out of the shower.  Assuming you are, rinse your hair with lukewarm water.  This will force the pores on your hair to close, sealing in all the moisture from the conditioner you are rinsing.

I've been doing all these things since my last haircut, and I have to say the little things truly make a difference.  Please try my tips, and let me know how they work for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment